Wednesday, August 19, 2009

10 days and counting

I'm just wondering if anything else can go wrong before it's time to leave on the trip. First my computer crashed (and it's still crashed), then I was without internet for two days. I've finally gotten that back and then pulled out the old IBM laptop, dusted it off and fired it up. Voila. Here we are.
Talked to Jon this morning. We're halfway through the alphabet on plans to get my new bicycle down here, plus all the promotional material that was printed up in the states. Right now, I'm training on the bike my brother helped me buy some 17 years ago. It was probably one of the very first carbon-fiber frames and I've thought about writing to Giant to tell them how pleased I've been with it. Actually, probably the only reason I looked into getting a new bike was because some cyclist friends from Arizona who saw it during a recent visit told me it wouldn't even make it to the border.
Since that same bike has made it all the way from Zihuatanejo to Kansas once before, I know it's been a good bike, but it's days might be numbered. Thus the new bike that Schlegel's Bicycles of Oklahoma City was so gracious to supply, but it looks like I won't get it until three days before the ride. So much for making friends with it before the long haul begins....

No comments:

Post a Comment