Monday, August 3, 2009

where it begins...

Several months ago Jonathan Roberts, my college friend, came to visit me in Zihuatanejo, Gro. where I live. He had just founded a non-profit organization based in Oklahoma City called BeTheChange and he wanted to know how his organization might help in our area of southern Mexico.

That visit, along with a couple more meetings back in Oklahoma, inspired the Z to OKC ride that begins Sept. 1, 2009.

I'll be riding approximately 2,000 miles from Zihuatanejo, Gro., located on the southern Pacific coast of Mexico, to Oklahoma City, OK. to raise money to build a care center for abandoned adults in the area.

In days to follow I'll be sharing my training progress, information about the care center and the faith-based non-profit organization here in Zihuatanejo that's building it, and more about the ride itself and how you can participate through BeTheChange.

Here's what you need to know right now:

There are 28 training days left. Last week was my first week of riding and I logged 75 miles total. According to plans for the trip, I'll be doing more than that nearly every day, and a few times I'll be doing double that. Needless to say, I've got a lot to do between now and Sept. 1 to be ready to ride.

I'll be writing about all that here and when the ride comes, I'll be writing about that too.

If you want to join me for the adventure, keep reading....

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome job. I look forward to following you on this journey

    ReplyDelete